Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nostalgia!

Hiya!

How do you like our new look? Pretty awesome isn't it? I'm loving it every second. All credits goes to John for finding an incredible theme and polishing our blog with pages and labels. Thanks John!

For today's topic, I wanna touch on nostalgia.

Personally, I loved every single moment when I get nostalgic about something. I agreed with what John said in the past. He said that most technologies are going downhill and gaming is no exception. For the past few years, I have yet to discover an RPG game dedicated to its traditional mechanics. The closest was The Last Remnant. It had turn-based battles with a squad system which was extremely flawed.

The squad system consists of a group of teammates, each with their individual abilities and powers. Interestingly enough, you're able to create a squad dedicated solely to magic or power, thus creating a mixed squad is not advisable, in my opinion. The major flaw about the squad system is that all 6 members' Health Points are combined into one. Defeating just one member kills the whole squad most of the time. Nevertheless, the story of The Last Remnant was captivating enough to keep me occupied. Then, I went on another search for the graphically enhanced RPG with traditional mechanics. I eventually found one, which was Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra.

It had everything a true classic RPG should have. Turn-based battles, engaging storyline and a beautiful artwork. I never played the earlier episodes, but I'm really in love with this episode. Unfortunately, I do not own this game. It was a Playstation 2 game and not to mention, most PS2 games are rare! I'm waiting to borrow this game from someone I know, she still hasn't completed it so I'll have to wait. This game would be on my playlist during the holidays. Right now, I'm still studying and hating it as always.

There was another game as well, named Persona 4 which I'm waiting for John to finish so that I could play it too. So far, there isn't a game that met my expectations of a true RPG.

My formula of a true, nostalgically enhanced RPG is...

Chrono Trigger OST + Final Fantasy 9 Equipment Skill Learning + Free Roaming and Area Discovery and Exploration + Anything Else Cute + Xenogears Storyline and Characters + Turn-based battles = My dream RPG.

xoxo

Erin

4 comments:

  1. hi erin! i love the new layout! its very easy to navigate and very easy to read as well! your friend is pretty good at this! and your post, yeah i wish there was kinda like a chrono trigger remake. since there was a re1 remake, why not chrono trigger? hais. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm RPGs eh.. Well to me other than xenosga... U should definately also try out other ps2 RPGs such as shin megami tensei:nocturne.. Digital devil saga.. Shadow hearts...since u like turned base RPGs...believe me I know my RPGs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candice! A Chrono Trigger sounds delicious. Really. I'm a big fan of the Chrono series. Of course, I do hope for a next-gen Chrono game...

    Hey Fadedsouljoker! Are you lasoul as well? I would prefer you to just stick to a single alias... Hmm. I might try out some SMT games. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lasoul is my old name.. i forgot to change...yeah if ur yearning for good rpgs.. the ps2 is the way to go :D

    ReplyDelete