Sunday, March 28, 2010

What is Final Fantasy 13 missing?



Hiya!

Lotsa friends of mine have been asking me to purchase Final Fantasy 13 for my brother's Playstation 3. First of all, my brother hates RPGs, he only loved violence and JUST violence. Second of all, Final Fantasy 13 is missing a huge number of key factors that made the Final Fantasy franchise so awesome. I made a list purely based on my own opinions and I'm sure I played enough Final Fantasy games to judge this game from ground zero.

Behold! The 5 precious things that are missing from Final Fantasy 13!

5. The Victory Fanfare!
Without a doubt, every single or majority of Final Fantasy has this similar tune after every battle (Or after a boss battle for Final Fantasy 12). It's commonly known as the the victory fanfare! It has this cheery and cute tune which makes you feel good about yourself! Final Fantasy 13 has this 2-3 second victory fanfare and I don't feel all victorious after any battle. Why break the tradition?

4. Moogles!
Why isn't there any cute, adorable and cuddly Moogles in Final Fantasy 13? WHY? I have so much Moogle plushies in my room! It's one of the reasons why I love Final Fantasy so much! Why did the developers have to take Moogles out of the game? *sob*

3. Controlling all characters!
Majority of Final Fantasy games allowed you to control every character. Instead, we get AIs and can only control the main character. This factor alone completely takes out the turn based battle system from the game. It's definitely not a Final Fantasy game anymore. It's all Sci-Fi and I hate it. Final Fantasy games should be slow and steady, allowing you to make wise moves to an enemy, not all fast paced like this game.

2. Airships, Spaceships, Towns! Where are they?
Most Final Fantasy games allowed free roam around their world! Be it on the Ragnarok in Final Fantasy 8 or the Invincible in Final Fantasy 9. Wouldn't it be awesome and breathtaking at the same time, free roaming around with a spaceship, admiring what the Final Fantasy 13 graphic engine has to offer? No, all we get is dungeons, dungeons and more dungeons. To add-on, no towns as well? *sob sob*

1. Biggs and Wedge?
No Biggs and Wedge? NO. Hehe, I'm just kidding. I couldn't find a final factor!

So hey. I can't bring myself to purchase a copy. Sorry Final Fantasy 13 fans. I would rather have a graphically enhanced Final Fantasy 1-9, than a traditionally broken Final Fantasy 13. It's a no-go. The story may be engaging, the eye-candy may be breathtaking but it is definitely NOT a Final Fantasy for me anymore.

xoxo

Erin

6 comments:

  1. haha. no go? i admit ff13 is pretty sucky. but i love the art work and all. those 5 points you made are sooooo correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice points but final fantasy 13 does have it's good points... But your right.. it's just not final fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candice! Sure, the art work is nice and all, but that's just the icing of the cake.

    Hi lasoul! Thanks for visiting our blog! Mind stating your good points?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya!!

    Well the good points of FF13 has to be graphics and the story.. But to me the best part of FF13 has to be the battle system and the summon system and definitely the boss battles..

    Being the FF fan i am..i bought the Japanese version as soon as it came out and seriously FF13 has one of the most epic boss battles..How many games do you play do you get to fight a star wars battle ship???(seriously cool)

    For the battle system..Sure u may not be able to control all the characters but by using the Optima change system.. U will feel as if you are controlling the characters..It's fun really..

    For example.. The boss is guarding so u can choose.. hmm do i want my team to attack or to heal.. or like when the boss is attacking you.. U may use the defender option to ask the boss to attack that character only.. So actually you are controlling all the characters but u have to act quick is all..The strategy for ff13 is act and think quick..

    Secondly the summon system.. I like it.. Before u can use the summon.. you have to fight it... And the battles are not mindless spamming.. The strategy is to impress the summon.. based on your actions.. there will be a gauge on top of its head.. When its full then only u can control it.. Dun u think that quite innovative compared to FF8 where it's just plain fighting...

    So yeah to me i enjoy the battles in FF13..Oh and since your an FF fan as well.. Im sure u were disappointed when nobuo was not in the music team but i assure you the music is good..

    My final thoughts.. Go ahead and try it out.. It's more fun than it looks but you will definitely not feel the FF feeling(if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lasoul! So, let me break it down to this...

    - Star Wars battleship? I do recall fighting an Ark boss battle in FF9, it was pretty hard the first time round. Seeing this, you obviously haven't play Xenogears? I'll check out the boss battles for FF13 and maybe add some points to FF13.

    - So it's sort of like Persona 3, where you give orders to your teammates? I'm getting this feeling that it's ripped off, since in FF13, when the protagonist dies, it's game over. Still, it's a matter of opinion. We do not think alike at all.

    - The summon system sounds bad. It seemed to me as more of an annoyance instead of an asset. Of all FF games' summon systems, FF12 is by far, my favorite. Since a summon is a God, it should do things on its own free will. Don't you think when you're an elemental God and you're getting manipulated by some human is a bit disgraceful? I admit it's pretty innovative still. FF8 summons did sucked, but the GF junction system covers the bruises.

    - Yes. I loved Nobuo Uematsu's music in the games. The music is pretty decent so far.

    After reading your points, I do feel like playing FF13. I will rent it however, not purchase it because I'm getting gut feelings that the game is ultra linear and have tedious replay values.

    I thank you for making a detailed comment, truly appreciated it.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think i wasn't specific enough..what i meant was when acquiring the summon you have to fight it.. when ur using the summons its the same as FF12.. cept for the Drving mode where u get to control the summons..haha and ur right.. i've never played xenogears before..

    well thanks for replying too... i support your idea of renting it instead of buying it... do write something abt it if you do

    see ya

    ReplyDelete